Sanjay Dutt news update: Sanjay Dutt surrender date is today

    0
    20

    Sanjay Dutt is all over the news media. The Bollywood super star’s surrender date is today and he will surrender before TADA court in Mumbai

    Mumbai: After appealing for surrender at, actor Sanjay Dutt will finally surrender before a designated TADA court on Wednesday in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case, after he withdrew the plea to surrender at the Pune based Yerwada jail citing possibility of threat to his life.

    Subhash Jadhav, Sanjay Dutt’s lawyer, told the special court that the actor wanted to withdraw the application filed and would surrender before the court. The court allowed the plea to be withdrawn. The 53-year-old actor has been convicted under the Arms Act and sentenced to five year jail term. The apex court on Tuesday refused to give Dutt extra time to surrender on a plea by a Bollywood producer.

    Earlier Sanjay Dutt had filed a plea requesting the court to allow him to surrender in Pune, instead of special TADA court in Mumbai. Dutt had cited an apprehension of danger to his life “from vested interests and other fundamentalist groups and organizations”.

    His application stated that he wanted to surrender directly either before the authorities of the Yerawada jail in Pune or Arthur Road jail, as on previous occasions when he was arrested and taken to Yerawada jail, he was “chased by the media and news reporters/journalists”. He said that vehicles ferrying him to jail went at a speed of more than 120 kmph and “a minor error of judgment by the driver can lead to a fatal accident which can cost him his life”.

    He also said he “apprehends a large presence of media and fans at the Tada court premises which increases security risks… as it becomes difficult to monitor each and every person present at the court site… and also causes a lot of inconvenience to the police and the court”.

    The surrender comes after the apex court, May 10,  dismissed Sanjay Dutt’s plea seeking review of its judgement on his conviction and five-year jail term. Sanjay Dutt was earlier granted four weeks more time to surrender to undergo the remaining jail term.

    The Supreme Court, on March 21, had upheld his conviction in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts, which it said was engineered by underworld don Dawood Ibrahim and others with the involvement of Pakistan’s ISI. However, the apex court had reduced to five years the six-year jail term awarded to Dutt by a designated TADA court in 2006 while ruling out his release on probation, saying the “nature” of his offence was “serious”.

    Sanjay Dutt was convicted by the TADA court for illegally possessing a 9 mm pistol and an AK-56 rifle, which were part of a consignment of weapons and explosives brought to India for coordinated serial blasts that killed 257 people and injured over 700 in 1993.

    Meanwhile it has been reported that Dutt, will apparently be assigned the task of cooking while he serves his sentence in prison. The actor, who has earned crores of rupees from the films he has acted in, will be paid a paltry sum of Rs. 25 per day for the work he does. As a prisoner, Dutt is also authorized for an allowance of Rs. 1500 from his family.

    During his stay at the prison, the actor would be allowed to meet a maximum of five people from his family in a month and that too for 20 minutes. The last time Sanjay Dutt was imprisoned, he had been assigned carpentry.