Paris terror attack latest update: who was behind the carnage?
Multiple attacks across French capital Paris have killed around 120 people. A state of emergency has been imposed and military personnel have been recalled to comb areas and apprehend armed attackers who still seem to be at large.
Paris terrorist attack seems to be well coordinated. Friday night will remain etched in the memory of French people especially Parisians who had to endure a night full of horror, dread and destruction. But a night club had to endure the biggest loss of life. Several dozen people were slaughtered there in cold blood. Finally French special forces entered the theater to end the siege.
Bataclan concert hall was the scene of the biggest carnage. The concert hall where the slaughter took place was reportedly hosting an American rock band, where scores of people were held hostage and attackers ended the standoff by detonating explosive belts when special forces tried to enter there.
Later police authorities announced that as many as eight attackers were dead. In fact just one was killed by police fire. Seven others died when they detonated the explosive belts they were wearing on their bodies.
While talking to a leading news agency Paris prosecutor’s spokeswoman Agnes Thibault-Lecuivre said there were fears that some attackers might still be at large. Authorities are searching for possible accomplices. The death toll was at least 120 people at six sites, including the national stadium and a circle of popular nightspots, Thibault-Lecuivre said.
Till now no one has claimed responsibility for the attack, though Islamophobia in Europe has went up sharply. A report says that someone heard attackers say “Allahu Akbar.”
Following the carnage French President Hollande declared a state of emergency and announced that he was closing the country’s borders, although officials later said they were just re-imposing border checks that had been removed after Europe created its free-travel zone in the 1980s.
All the public means of transport were immediately suspended. Metro lines shut down and streets emptied on the mild fall evening as fear spread through the city, still aching from the horrors of the Charlie Hebdo attack just 10 months ago.
Now it is clear as to where and how many attacks took place in Paris last night. The attack started with three suicide bombings outside the national stadium during a soccer match between the French and German national teams, Thibault-Lecuivre said. But this was just the beginning and officials claim that within minutes another group of attackers sprayed cafes outside the concert hall with machine gunfire, then stormed inside and opened fire on the panicked audience. As police closed in, three detonated explosive belts, killing themselves.
It must have been a tough time for French security agencies. French President was inside the stadium when the attack started. He had to be evacuated from the stadium when the bombs went off outside.
In a midnight television speech he vowed to track down the attackers and restore peace. â€œA determined France, a united France, a France that joins together and a France that will not allow itself to be staggered even if today, there is infinite emotion faced with this disaster, this tragedy, which is an abomination, because it is barbarismâ€, said the French President.