Business

Ericsson-Xiaomi battle heading for settlement, court allows 100k Redmi Note handsets to be sent back

Ericsson-Xiaomi battle heading for settlement, court allows 100k Redmi Note handsets to be sent back

Ericsson-Xiaomi battle heading for settlement, court allows 100k Redmi Note handsets to be sent back

There is no denying the fact that these handsets would have been a huge loss for the Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi. For around a year as many as 100,000 units of Redmi Note handsets were rotting in Flipkart warehouses as its sale was banned in the country.

Now the company got some respite as Delhi High Court has said that Xiaomi can ship these handsets back to Hong Kong.

The handset was banned in the country following a Delhi High Court order on Ericsson’s plea alleging patent violation by the Chinese mobile phone maker. The relief for the company came from a vacation bench of Justice Mukta Gupta who allowed the Chinese company to return more than 100,000 handsets to their point of origin in Hong Kong.xiaomi_redmi_note_white

The relief came when the Swedish telecom company Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson agreed to the arrangement. The court directed Xiaomi to maintain an inventory of the handsets, currently lying unused with e-commerce site Flipkart through which the Chinese company sells its phones under an exclusive arrangement.

Now the company may be able to sell them in other markets. While talking about the development, Advocate Ajit Warrier said its phones like Redmi Note 3G, which run on a Mediatek processor, have been prohibited from sale in India by the high court. He said the company was only allowed by the court to sell its Qualcomm chipset-based phones and thus, the other variety are lying unused with Flipkart. The court on December 16 last year had permitted Xiaomi to sell its Qualcomm chipset-based devices as a ‘pro tem’ (temporary) measure till the issue of patent infringement was heard and decided by a single-judge bench of the high court.

More in Business