Amanda Knox verdict: Knox heads home and thanks all for support


    Amanda Knox verdict is out and she is a free bird, heading home. She has thanked people across the world for support

    Monday night Amanda Knox, acquitted after four years in prison, left the prison outside Perugia within two hours after the verdict in a packed court. The verdict acquitted her and her Italian one-time boyfriend of brutally murdering her British roommate. She headed to the United States soon after her release.

    Her case was championed by Italy-US Foundation. It stated that Knox would catch a flight to London from the Leonardo da Vinci airport in Rome, then from London she would catch a connecting flight to the United States.

    In the airport, media could not locate Knox, though her family members were seen in the terminal. It is believed that she had been escorted by police through a non-public entrance to the airport.

    “During the trip from Perugia to Rome Amanda was serene,” said Corrado Maria Daclon, the secretary general of the Italy-US Foundation, who was with Knox in the car. “She confirmed to me that in the future she intends to come back to our country.”

    Giulia Alagna, a friend of Knox, said, “She just couldn’t wait to get on the plane. She told me that, even though she wasn’t yet on the plane, she felt like she was already flying. She was just very, very happy to get on that flight.” She also added that despite her ordeal, Knox sounded strong.

    On her part, Knox wrote a letter to the Italy-US Foundation, in which thanked all “who shared my suffering and helped me survive with hope. Those who wrote, those who defended me, those who were close, those who prayed for me,

    “I love you, “Amanda.”

    Knox and her ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito had been in prison since November 6, 2007, four days after the body of her 21-year-old British roommate Meredith Kercher was found. In 2009 they were convicted for sexually assaulting and murdering Kercher. Knox was convicted to 26 years, Sollecito to 25.

    The sentence was stunningly reversed at the appeals court that found flaw with the DNA report on which the convictions were based.

    Despite the joy on one side, the family of Kercher found little to be happy about as they felt that they were at square one after all these years and justice was still denied to them.

    Meredith’s sister Stephanie Kercher said at a news conference, “That’s the biggest disappointment, not knowing still. Knowing that there is obviously someone, or people, out there who have done this.”

    In an official statement the Kercher family stated, “We respect the decision of the judges but we do not understand how the decision of the first trial could be so radically overturned. We still trust the Italian justice system and hope that the truth will eventually emerge.”