Latest controversy to hit London Olympics 2012 has ignited a new debate. S Ahmad of NVONews.Com says spirit of Olympic has been trampled by badminton scandal
When a child first hears of Olympics, he/she is instantly told that at the Olympics it is more important to take part than winning medals. But on Wednesday this spirit was trampled on the badminton court. Four pairs of, all quarterfinalists, were found guilty of throwing match and thus disqualified.
Back in Indian sub continent cricket loving people know it easily which team would lose if is going to get an easy opponent at the next stage. But it happens in other sports too was proved. Obviously, these the players who have been caught otherwise there are many who just get away.
Getting reprieve by this disqualification Russia’s Valeria Sorokina and Nina Vislova and Canada’s Alex Bruce and Michele Li were reinstated in the event. And both the pairs won their match.
Interestingly all eight disqualified players belong to the women category. These players come from strong badminton contenders countries China, South Korea and Indonesia.
In sport losing match to get a weaker opponent in the next stage is nothing new but to stoop to such low that it can easily be proved is really shocking. It is already being dubbed as Olympic scandal.
The eight guilty players are Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli of China, Ha Jung-Eun, Kim Min-Jung, Jung Kyung Eun and Kim Ha-Na of South Korea and Indonesia’s Meiliana Jauhari and Greysis Polii.
Even while the quarter finals were being played at Wembley, everybody was talking about the expulsion.
The Badmintor World Federation found in its investigation that the matches involving the four ‘maligned’ pairs were unusual. Appeals by the accused players were rejected by the BWF.
BWF’s officials said that were disqualified under section 4.5 and 4.16 of Players Code of Conduct. It accused the four disqualified players as conducting themselves in manner that was clearly abusive of detrimental to the sport. It further said that the players were punished for not using their best efforts to win a match in matches Tuesday night.
IOC spokesman Mark Adams reacted as saying that they applaud the BWF for having taken swift and decisive action. He said that such behaviour was incompatible with the Olympic values.
This controversy has its root in the rivalry at the medal tables. As China wants to proves its supremacy over the USA in sport, the controversy has started with them, or so it seems.
Indonesia’s head of Olympic team, Mr. Eric Thohir accused Chinese players of losing on purpose in the past.
Thohir said that China had been doing this so many times and they never got sanctioned by the BWF.He said theat in the first game on Tuesday when China did it, the BWF didn’t do anything.
Mr. Thohir thinks that if the BWF had done something on the first game and announced the disqualification, it would have been a warning for everyone.
It would a remain an eternal debate, whether it was right in national interest or not, but IOC Vice President Craig Reedie and the former head of the international badminton federation thinks it is not competitive to lose your match on purpose. Reedie says that sport is competitive and if you lose the competitive element, then the whole thing becomes nonsense.