MUMBAI (NVONEWS): Are you one of those who could not get admitted into an engineering college because you did not have adequate marks? Worry not, if you are living in Maharashtra, something good is going to happen. The government has decided to start a diploma in Engineering course which will cater to those who cannot afford the fees. It is a hugely positive move, as it will probably concentrate on strong technical skills rather than the theory and math part that general B Tech courses specialize in. With the marks requirement as low as 35% practically everyone who can spell his name can get in.
The course will cost only eight thousand. That’s right, Rs 8000. The course, says Mohammad Arif Naseem Khan, Minister of Minority development, costs a small fraction of the sixty thousand rupees that private colleges generally charge for it.
If you are a Muslim, there is an added incentive. The nominal cost of Rs 8000 would be borne by the government. The education is completely free. Laudable as the intention might be, the course should not be completely free, otherwise it takes away the incentive to work hard, and keep appearing in classes. However if you have paid for it, you do try to get your money’s worth out of it.
Naseem Khan added that there is a 30 percent reservation for the girls while the remaining 70 percent seats will be general. About 1200 minority students will benefit from this scheme. The program will entail an additional cost of 15.5 crore on the Government. There are plans for girls hostels too, Naseem said. The government is searching for land, once the spot is finalized work will start soon.
We hope. Wish. Pray.