100 Days of NITI Aayog: Planning Commission is dead
NITI completes 100 days on 11th April, 2015. The last three months have been tremendous for the institution: from its inception as a â€˜Think Tankâ€™ of the Government â€“ a directional and policy dynamo to taking steps in liaising with States while fostering the spirit of cooperative federalism. Here are some highlights from this preliminary journey towards transforming India:
1) The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi made appointments to the NITI Aayog, with Dr.Arvind Panagariya as the Vice Chairman, and Shri Bibek Debroy and Dr. V.K. Saraswat as Full-Time Members. The Vice Chairman and Members took charge of their offices here. Ms. Sindhushree Khullar was appointed as NITI Aayog’s Chief Executive Officer.
2) The Prime Minister interacted with eminent economists on 6th February, 2015, for formulation of the Union Budget and discussion on the state of the economy, in his first visit to the NITI Aayog.
3) The Prime Minister chaired the first Governing Council Meeting of the NITI Aayog on 8th February, 2015 with Chief Ministers of States and Lt. Governors of Union Territories to work with the Centre to forge a model of cooperative federalism, whereby the Centre and States â€“ TEAM INDIA â€“ can come together to chart a common course for progress and prosperity.
4) A meeting for reviewing progress in Infrastructure sectors for 2014-15 was held under the chairmanship of the Prime Minister on 9th February, 2015. CEO, NITI Aayog made a presentation on the performance of infrastructure sectors in 2014-15 for the period of 10 months from April, 2014 to January, 2015. The sectors covered were related to Physical Connectivity (Airports, Ports and Inland Waterways, Railways and Highways), Digital Connectivity (Telecom) and Energy (Power, Coal, Renewables and Gas). In order to prevent cost and time overruns of important infrastructure projects, the Governing Council of NITI Aayog has requested States to create appropriate institutional mechanisms to address issues which cause delay in execution of the project. This is being further monitored by NITI.
5) Prime Minister constituted three Sub Groups of Chief Ministers on the following themes: Rationalisation of Centrally Sponsored Schemes, Skill Development, and Swachh Bharat.
6) The Union Budget 2015 announced the setting up of Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), Self-Employment and Talent Utilization (SETU) and Unified National Agriculture Market under the NITI Aayog. The Union Budget also has a provision for providing special assistance by specific intervention through NITI.
7) The first meeting of Sub Group on rationalisation of Centrally Sponsored Schemes, convened by the Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh, was held in the NITI Aayog on 27th March, 2015.
8) In pursuance of the decision taken in the Governing Council Meeting, two Task Forces have been formed in order to tackle the crucial subjects of Agriculture Development and Elimination of Poverty under the leadership of Dr. Arvind Panagariya. The initial meetings for both Task Forces have been held. In addition, every state will constitute Task Forces on these subjects.
9) NITI Aayog has initiated the process of undertaking the midâ€“term appraisal of the Twelfth Plan. This opportunity is also being used to weave in the national development agenda discussed in the meeting of the Governing Council for its suitable implementation in the remaining two years of the Twelfth Plan.
10) As NITIâ€™s first initiative, the report â€œIndiaâ€™s Renewable Electricity Roadmap 2030â€”Toward Accelerated Renewable Electricity Deploymentâ€ was released at the Renewable Energy Global Investors Meet & Expo (RE-INVEST 2015) on 15th February, 2015.
11) Pioneering the change in Government Buildings, NITI Aayog was awarded a five star rating by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE). NITI Aayog has retrofitted its electrical appliances to achieve the highest energy efficiency rating for commercial buildings.
12) The erstwhile Planning Commission won the Web Ratna Gold Award under the Open Data Champion category. NITI will continue promoting initiatives like Open Government Data Platform India.
13) An e-book on the NITI Aayog was launched. The book is available on the following link: http://pib.nic.in/newsite/pdfdisplay.aspx?docid=404
14) A delegation of the National Planning Commission of Nepal, Dr. Ziad Bahaa-Eldin, former Dy. Prime Minister of the Republic of Egypt and Mr. Anthony Foxx, the Secretary of Transportation for the United States of America, are among the distinguished guests who have visited the NITI Aayog in the last 100 days.
15) A pilot was successfully completed for universal enrollment of children aged 0-6 years by concurrent Birth Registration and Aadhar Enrollment in Haryana between 23rd February and 6th March, 2015. NITI Aayog participated in this exercise along with other ministries and departments.
16) Every week, employees of NITI Aayog devote time by performing Shram Daan and Samay Daan towards the Swachh Bharat Mission and maintain cleanliness around the premises of the institution.